Loving Ipswich couple with same birthday turn 90 together with surprise party
- Credit: Archant
A loving Ipswich couple who have been together for more than 60 years celebrated their 90th birthdays today – after the pair were remarkably born on the same day.
John and Mary Marjason celebrated entering their ninth decade with a surprise dinner at the Ipswich and Suffolk Club, laid on by more than 20 friends.
The pair, who met at a drinks party in London in December 1955, were shocked to discover they shared the same birthday, with John older by just five hours.
“It was while we were queuing for the Ideal Home Exhibition in 1956 that one of us asked the other when is your birthday, and when we found out we said it couldn’t be – it must have been a mistake,” Mary said.
Mary was originally from Bedfordshire while John lived in Boston, Lincolnshire. The couple, whose fathers were firm friends, would see each other on weekends, as John was working as a banker in Dunmow during the week.
“I wrote to Mary but we didn’t really see each other, other than at weekends,” John said.
“I invited her to the Ideal Home Exhibition, I proposed on the way back and we were married in September 1956 in Boston.”
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 3 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
The couple lived in various places including Dunmow, Wisbech and Knebworth before settling in Ipswich in 1968.
John had spent his working life as a banker for Lloyds branches – including those in Nacton Road and Bramford Road – while Mary was a primary school teacher.
The couple had two children – Reg, 58, and Ruth 56, and have five grandchildren, enjoying birthday celebrations with all the family on Saturday.
But members and staff at the Ipswich and Suffolk Club in Northgate Street. Ipswich, laid on the surprise dinner for the couple at lunchtime today, presenting the pair with a card and cake in the company of friends.
“I knew nothing at all,” Mary said.
“They took great delight in opening the door and giving us a shock – they kept that very quiet.”
Snooker-enthusiast John added: “It couldn’t have been better. Our long association with this club has grown, and grown, and grown, and we have met up with beautiful people.
“We do everything together and celebrated our diamond wedding last year.
“We’ll have to wait another 10 years for a do like this!”