Lucky escape for drivers in pile up
FOUR people were lucky to escape with their lives today after a three-vehicle smash on a Suffolk road.A white Ford Transit panel van, travelling from Ipswich to Manningtree, was in collision with another Ford Transit van and a dark green Peugeot 306 travelling in the opposite direction.
FOUR people were lucky to escape with their lives today after a three-vehicle smash on a Suffolk road.
A white Ford Transit panel van, travelling from Ipswich to Manningtree, was in collision with another Ford Transit van and a dark green Peugeot 306 travelling in the opposite direction.
The smash took place on the A137 in Wherstead around 10am today.
Pc Graham Amey, who was at the scene, said: "The female driver of the Peugeot was taken to hospital, but her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening."
The 19-year-old old driver of the Ford Transit panel van – belonging to Carter Builder - and his companion walked away from the scene.
Tony Woods, 37, of Station Lane, Harwich, who had been driving the second Ford Transit van, suffered cuts and bruises to his hands and elbows.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 6 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 9 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather
- 10 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
He said: "After the crash I felt sick. But I was more concerned for the lady in the car in front. I went and turned off her engine.
"Then I just tried to calm her down and tell her the emergency services were on their way.
"She was very, very upset and distressed."
The Peugeot and Mr Woods' van ended up in the grass verge on one side of the road, while the Carter Builder van ended up on the other.
The road was closed for more than an hour.