Machete man awaits sentence
A MACHETE-wielding Ipswich man is today awaiting sentencing after attacking his former girlfriend's new partner in a jealous rage.Wayne Attridge changed his plea from not guilty to actual bodily harm and affray to guilty on the second day of his trial at Ipswich Crown Court.
A MACHETE-wielding Ipswich man is today awaiting sentencing after attacking his former girlfriend's new partner in a jealous rage.
Wayne Attridge changed his plea from not guilty to actual bodily harm and affray to guilty on the second day of his trial at Ipswich Crown Court.
The jury were directed to accept his admission and sentence was deferred until week commencing March 5.
Previously the court heard Attridge, also known as Steward, barged into a house in Pond End, Henley, where he believed his former girlfriend Jo was visiting and brandished a machete at her new boyfriend Will Hutchinson.
Mr Hutchinson struggled with Attridge and suffered cut hands before managing to pass the knife to the householder Amy Christian, who threw it out of the house and onto the grass.
Miss Christian had been at home with her two young children when her friend Jo had phoned and asked if she and Mr Hutchinson could visit at around midnight.
- 1 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 5 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 6 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 7 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 10 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
Miss Christian told the court Jo received three or four mobile phone calls from Attridge but the poor signal meant the calls were cut off.
She said Attridge, 33, of Foxhall Road, Ipswich, realised where Jo was and phoned Miss Christian's land line before going to the house in Henley where he attacked Mr Hutchinson.
The court heard that she and Mr Hutchinson managed to get Attridge out of the house but he continued to try to kick the door down and hit the window.
Mr Hutchinson told the police on the phone: “He hacked me with a machete and I have had to disarm him but I think he's got the weapon back, he's trying to smash the window now, I'm going to have to deal with this myself.”
Soon afterwards police arrived and arrested Attridge.