Six fire engines tackle blaze at old Fisons factory
- Credit: Rachel Edge
A major fire broke out at the derelict Fisons factory site in Bramford this afternoon.
Emergency services were called to the site in Paper Mill Lane at 1.19pm after reports a fire was raging in a two-storey building on the old fertiliser factory site on the outskirts of Ipswich.
The fire was in the roof space of the derelict building - which was used as an office when the site was in operation.
Six fire engines were sent to the scene, including crews from Princes Street, Ipswich East and Woodbridge.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the fire has now been extinguished and that crews called a stop on the incident at around 3pm.
You may also want to watch:
She said fire crews remained on scene to dampen down the area and check for hotspots.
“The fire was in a two storey building measuring around 6m by 15m.
- 1 Teenager seriously injured in Ipswich stabbing
- 2 Police on scene of 'ongoing incident' in Ipswich cul-de-sac
- 3 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 4 Suffolk gets its first ever Michelin Star
- 5 Death of 'happy go lucky' woman could not have been predicted
- 6 Aldi to retain Whitton Meredith Road store after taking it off the market
- 7 New mass vaccination centre in Ipswich opens today
- 8 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 9 Eat like a Premier League footballer
- 10 Critical care full and nearly 700 patients fighting Covid in hospital
“The building is derelict and was used as an office building. “The fire was in the roof space.”
Speaking at the scene, station commander Dale Willings said: “We were called at about 1.20pm this afternoon to the derelict old Fisons building.
“Appliances from Ipswich East and Prices Street attended and further calls were received via our control room so they mobilised an additional fire appliance so we’ve sent Woodbridge as well into the incident.”
He said firefighters tackled the fire using water hoses on the front and rear of the building.
Mr Willings added the cause of the fire is not yet known but that an investigation would be carried out in due course.
A stretch of Paper Mill Lane has been closed to traffic and will remain closed while crews finish dampening down.
The main Fisons factory building is ranked among Britain’s most endangered buildings by the Victorian Society.
The wooden structure of the old warehouse is Grade II listed.
There are six fire engines at the scene, coming from Princes Street, Ipswich East and Woodbridge.