Man, 34, dies on rail line near Felixstowe
- Credit: Su Anderson
A 34-year-old man has died after being hit by a train at a rail crossing near Felixstowe.
It is the second fatality at Thorpe Lane in Trimley St Martin in the past seven months, at what is known locally as the Grimston Lane crossing.
The latest tragedy occurred at around 7.40pm on Saturday.
The train involved - the 7.28pm from Felixstowe to Ipswich - was carrying 18 passengers at the time of the incident.
British Transport Police asked colleagues at Suffolk Constabulary to attend the scene until they were able to get to the location.
They also alerted the ambulance service which sent an ambulance crew, a rapid response vehicle and an officer.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance NHS Trust said: “Sadly nothing could be done for the patient and they were pronounced dead at the scene.”
- 1 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 2 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 3 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 4 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 6 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 7 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 8 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 9 Ipswich climber's death was a 'tragic and unexpected accident'
- 10 Plans to convert town centre office to five flats
One witness said they saw as many as seven emergency services vehicles at the scene.
The deceased is said to come from the Felixstowe area.
Matt Woodhouse, a spokesman for the British Transport Police (BTP), said: “Just before 7.40pm on Saturday, September 10, we were called to Thorpe Lane level crossing to reports that a person was struck by a train.
“BTP officers attended alongside local ambulance colleagues. However a 34-year-old man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
“His family have been informed.
“We are not treating this incident as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.“
Network Rail said the line had to be closed following the incident and was re-opened by 9.50pm.
Kerri Worrall, a spokeswoman for the train operator Abellio Greater Anglia, said the company was offering its full support to the driver involved.
An 82-year-old man died at the same spot on February 23 when he was also hit by a train.
The tragedy occurred at around 12.20pm.
The deceased was also pronounced dead at the scene.