Search

Man, 98, died after choking

PUBLISHED: 19:15 09 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:53 03 March 2010

A RETIRED post office engineer died after choking on his lunch at a Felixstowe nursing home, an inquest has heard.

Frank Wright, 98, died at the Leopold Road Nursing Home on March 13.

A RETIRED post office engineer died after choking on his lunch at a Felixstowe nursing home, an inquest has heard.

Frank Wright, 98, died at the Leopold Road Nursing Home on March 13.

The inquest at Ipswich Crown Court heard a statement from his son Colin Wright, who said there had been no concerns about his care at the home.

Mr Wright, who was described as a cheerful man who would occasionally sing, had his lunch and medication in a wheelchair, but at 1.10pm a care assistant saw he had stopped breathing.

The court heard he managed to take a few more breaths before he died.

Pathologist Dr Julian Orrell said his death was caused by acute obstruction of the larynx, due to food.

Coroner Peter Dean recorded a verdict of accidental death.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star