Man accused of rape gives evidence
A POSTMAN accused of attempted rape told police about the incident which led to his arrest it emerged today.Jamie Garnham, 30, formerly of Shakespeare Road, said he had met a woman on Wherstead Road near the Orwell Mariners pub in the early hours of June 30.
A POSTMAN accused of attempted rape told police about the incident which led to his arrest it emerged today.
Jamie Garnham, 30, formerly of Shakespeare Road, said he had met a woman on Wherstead Road near the Orwell Mariners pub in the early hours of June 30.
He said he had spent the previous evening in various Ipswich pubs trying to patch up a relationship with his ex-girlfriend Sandra Arnold.
He said when he met the woman she listened to his problem and allowed him to walk her home.
Ipswich Crown Court heard that the pair walked up Station Street and along Maidenhall Approach before exchanging a kiss on Maidenhall Green.
"I kissed her," said Garnham, who now lives in Bradwell near Great Yarmouth. "She said I would not get very far because it was the wrong time of the month and I said it did not bother me. We laid down on the grass behind some bushes and I got on top of her. I was rubbing her all over, I was getting very excited. I took off her jeans very quickly. She said 'You aren't going to hurt me are you?' I said of course not and she said 'I will do anything you want met to'."
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 3 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 4 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 5 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 6 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 7 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 8 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 9 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 10 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
Garnham added that he could not get an erection and got the woman to perform a sex act on him before trying to have intercourse again. He said: "I sort of gave up in the end."
Garnham said he walked the woman home where she was confronted by her husband.
Garnham, who denies attempted rape said the women's daughter came after him saying he had attacked her mother. "I was gobsmacked," said Garnham.
The trial continues.