Thunderstorms

Thunderstorms

max temp: 32°C

min temp: 18°C

Search

Man admits grievous bodily harm with intent after stabbing in Prospect Street, Ipswich

PUBLISHED: 08:58 15 February 2017 | UPDATED: 08:58 15 February 2017

Police tape cordoning off Prospect Street where the stabbing occurred

Police tape cordoning off Prospect Street where the stabbing occurred

Archant

A 29-year-old man originally charged with attempted murder has admitted grievous bodily harm with intent after another man was stabbed in Ipswich.

Ahmed Tarabi, of no fixed address, was arrested after Lloyd Fearon was wounded in Prospect Street on September 16 last year.

A house linked to the stabbing was made the subject of a three-month closure order by Ipswich magistrates earlier this month.

Tarabi pleaded guilty to the grievous bodily harm charge when he appeared before Ipswich Crown Court.

His sentencing was adjourned until March 22.

Police were called by the ambulance service at 10.40pm on September 16 to a report of a man being stabbed in Prospect Street, off Bramford Road.

Mr Fearon sustained injuries which, at the time, were described as “life-threatening”.

At the Prospect Street house’s closure order hearing at the start of this month it was said the female tenant had been thrown out after neighbours had put up with more than two years of rowdy behaviour.

Ipswich magistrates approved a police application for a three-month closure order at the property which has been plagued by anti-social behaviour and drug-dealing. There was no suggestion Tarabi was involved in anything other than the attack on Mr Fearon.

Carly McGuire, the solicitor making the application, said all attempts to communicate with the tenant Kerry Melville about the application were unsuccessful.

Pc Daniel Thompson, part of the anti-social behaviour team at Ipswich Borough Council’s Grafton House, said a number of crimes had occurred at the premises.

Pc Thompson told magistrates he believed the closure order was being sought as he thought it was essential to provide some relief to residents living near the property.

He added the application was supported by Sanctuary Housing and Ipswich Borough Council.

Brian Quinton, an accommodation support officer who works in Prospect Street, said there had been problems connected with the house for around two-and-a-half years.

A resident who gave evidence said he and his wife stayed inside and shut their home’s windows during the summer months due to noisy barbecues being held two or three times a week in the garden of the house in question.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists