Man arrested after alleged rape of teenage girl in Gippeswyk Park, Ipswich, this morning
Police have arrested a 20-year-old man after allegations of a 17-year-old girl being raped in Gippeswyk Park in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Officers were called at 1.25am to reports that a 17-year-old girl had been raped in the park at around 12.30am.
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said: “The victim is currently being supported by specialist trained officers and an area of the park has been cordoned off while initial enquires are carried-out.”
The spokesman added that it is believed the suspect is known to the teenager.
Officers arrested a 20-year-old man on suspicion of rape. He was taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
You may also want to watch:
On Wednesday evening, police confirmed the man has been released under investigation pending further enquiries.
Officers are keen to speak to anyone in the area between 12am and 1am this morning who may have witnessed or heard anything, or from anyone who has information which may help officers.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 5 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 6 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 7 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
- 8 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 9 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 10 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
Call 101 with any information, or contact crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.