Man arrested after alleged rape of teenage girl in Gippeswyk Park, Ipswich, this morning
Police have arrested a 20-year-old man after allegations of a 17-year-old girl being raped in Gippeswyk Park in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Officers were called at 1.25am to reports that a 17-year-old girl had been raped in the park at around 12.30am.
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said: “The victim is currently being supported by specialist trained officers and an area of the park has been cordoned off while initial enquires are carried-out.”
The spokesman added that it is believed the suspect is known to the teenager.
Officers arrested a 20-year-old man on suspicion of rape. He was taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
On Wednesday evening, police confirmed the man has been released under investigation pending further enquiries.
Officers are keen to speak to anyone in the area between 12am and 1am this morning who may have witnessed or heard anything, or from anyone who has information which may help officers.
- 1 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 2 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 4 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 5 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 6 'Incredibly proud': 11-year-old saves classmate choking on chicken nugget
- 7 Alleyway near Ipswich town centre remains sealed off after serious assault
- 8 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
- 9 'Fantastic' new café at Needham Lake beauty spot opens its doors
- 10 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
Call 101 with any information, or contact crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.