Man arrested in screwdriver attack
A MAN was arrested today after at least four people were injured in a stabbing in Bury St Edmunds today.Police were called to Central Walk after receiving reports of a man attacking people with a screwdriver.
By Amanda Cresswell
A MAN was arrested today , after at least four people were injured in a stabbing in Bury St Edmunds.
Police were called to Central Walk after reports of a man attacking people with a screwdriver.
A man appeared to have been making random assaults on members of the public just after 1pm on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said: "Police can confirm four people at least have been assaulted.
"Three received hospital treatment as a consequence but it is not known the extent of the injuries at this stage."
- 1 Dog mess thrown at Ipswich bakery staff in 'nasty' attack
- 2 Central Ipswich office tower could be converted into more than 100 flats
- 3 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 4 New services and drive-thru coffee shop rejected
- 5 Ipswich mum's frustration as terminally ill son, 13, left unable to go home
- 6 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 7 Ipswich road to A14 cleared after collision between two cars
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars in July
- 9 Is Babergh Council the 'neighbour from hell' in planning?
- 10 Rape arrest after man sexually assaulted in town
None of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening.
It is believed that one of the injured party was stabbed in the back, and another was stabbed in the chest with a screwdriver while the streets were filled with shoppers.
Three casualties, who have not been named, were taken to West Suffolk Hospital by ambulance.
A shop worker at Jennifer's Florist in Central Walk, who asked not to be named, said: "It was shocking for everyone involved really.
"At the time we were trying to concentrate on the people who were injured. We just want to forget about it at the moment and carry on what we are doing."
A 27-year-old man is in police custody at Bury St Edmunds police station.