Man burned in house fire

A MAN was taken to hospital today after suffering minor burns when a blaze broke out in outbuildings at his Stowmarket home.

A MAN was taken to hospital today after suffering minor burns when a blaze broke out in outbuildings at his Stowmarket home.

The man, who is believed to be in his 70's and the sole occupant of the semi-detached house, was also suffering from smoke inhalation.

Fire tore through the garage, completely destroying the wooden structure and causing severe damage to a summer house in the garden.

A mains gas leak ignited as a result of the fire, and Transco workers were called to isolate the leak. They are currently working to cap off the underground supply to the property.

Neighbour John Marion, who lives opposite the property in Wordsworth Road, said he heard small explosions and watched as the flames raged, reaching the eves of the next door house.

He said: “I was inside and the first I knew of it was the minor explosions, it sounded like paint cans exploding.”

Most Read

Next door neighbour Nick Bensley said he received a call while he was at work telling him of the fire and the threat to his property.

He praised the quick work of the fire service in halting the spread of the flames and stopping the fire from destroying his home.