Man charged after gunshots reportedly heard in Cardinal Park area of Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged after gunshots were reportedly fired in the Cardinal Park area of Ipswich in the early hours of last Friday morning.
Alvin Shehu, 22, from Reynolds Road in Ipswich, has been charged with possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence. He has also been charged with possession of cannabis. He has been remanded in custody and is due to appear at Ipswich magistrates’ court on Monday.
A large police cordon was put in place which covered the majority of a row of restaurants in Cardinal Park for several hours until early Friday afternoon.
The police investigation started after the force received reports that shots had been heard in the Grafton Way area of the town at around 3am on Friday, July 14.
Several shell cases, believed to be from blanks, were recovered at the scene.
A grey Fiat Bravo was found parked outside the Harvester restaurant with its rear and side windows smashed. The vehicle is understood to be linked to the incident.
The police cordon meant several restaurants – Nandos, Ask Italian, Harvester, and Frankie & Benny’s – were unable to open until the cordon was lifted at around 12.50pm on Friday as officers examined the scene.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 6 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 7 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 8 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 9 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
The cordon did not cover Chimichanga or Subway.
Shehu was arrested in the Kesgrave area at around 2.30pm on Friday, police confirmed.
Suffolk Constabulary said in a statement this morning: “Police have charged a 22 year old man in connection with an incident that took place in the Cardinal Park area of Ipswich.
“Alvin Shehu from Reynolds Road in Ipswich is charged with possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.
“It follows an incident on Friday morning (14 July) when officers were contacted just after 3am to reports that shots had been heard in the Grafton Way area of the town. Shehu is also charged with possession of cannabis.
“He was remanded in custody to appear before Ipswich magistrates court on Monday morning (17 July).”
A 21-year-old man, arrested at the scene on suspicion of criminal damage, remains under investigation, police also confirmed.