Man charged after police officer was hit over head with glass bottle in Ipswich
- Credit: CONTRIBUTED
A 31-year-old man has been charged after a police officer was hit over the head with a glass bottle in Ipswich on Friday evening.
Luke Greenland, of Mountbatten Court, Ipswich, will appear before magistrates tomorrow charged with attempted GBH on a police officer, criminal damage to a motor vehicle and threatening behaviour.
Police were called to the incident in Portman Road, near St Matthews Church, at 8.35pm on Friday, September 1, prompting a massive police response in the area.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said a police constable had reported being hit with a glass bottle while on duty in the Portman Road area of Ipswich.
The spokesman said it was believed the instrument used was a Prosecco bottle.
You may also want to watch:
A witness described seeing around 10 police cars in attendance.
Two ambulances were also sent to the scene.
- 1 Tributes paid to Ipswich's 'best-loved shopkeeper' Hajara 'Sid' Singh
- 2 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 3 Police on scene of 'ongoing incident' in Ipswich cul-de-sac
- 4 Critical care full and nearly 700 patients fighting Covid in hospital
- 5 Closure of Debenhams stores in Suffolk and north Essex confirmed
- 6 Kesgrave woman writes book on incredible journey from suicide attempt to ultra marathon
- 7 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 8 Severe delays on A14 following collision between lorry and car
- 9 Ipswich Town 'disappointed' at newspaper stance - Evans stands by Lambert
- 10 Covid infection rate in Ipswich continues to fall below England average
A ambulance service spokesman said two men had sustained head injuries and had been taken to hospital.