Man died following fall at hospital
A CANCER patient died after falling over at Ipswich hospital, an inquest revealed.Collin Syddell, 84, was admitted to the hospital on January 5 this year suffering from chronic pain in his neck and back due to the advanced cancer.
A CANCER patient died after falling over at Ipswich hospital, an inquest revealed.
Collin Syddell, 84, was admitted to the hospital on January 5 this year suffering from chronic pain in his neck and back due to the advanced cancer.
An inquest at Ipswich County Court heard that on January 11 Mr Syddell, of Northfield Road, Onehouse, Stowmarket, fell onto his face as he walked along the ward. He was bruised and lost consciousness.
His visiting family said he later appeared normal but shaken, but he became unwell the following day and lost consciousness again.
You may also want to watch:
A brain scan showed that Mr Syddell had suffered a brain haemorrhage and several recent strokes.
Due to his age and the advanced cancer, he was given symptomatic treatment only.
- 1 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 2 Ipswich crack cocaine and heroin dealer jailed
- 3 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Closest Covid testing hub to Ipswich town centre forced to close
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 8 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Joy as Shotley Pier finally set to reopen after being derelict for over 30 years
He died on January 13. A post mortem revealed that although the haemorrhage occurred as a result of the fall, a stroke may have caused him to collapse.
Greater Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean recorded a verdict of accidental death.