Man died following fall at hospital
A CANCER patient died after falling over at Ipswich hospital, an inquest revealed.Collin Syddell, 84, was admitted to the hospital on January 5 this year suffering from chronic pain in his neck and back due to the advanced cancer.
A CANCER patient died after falling over at Ipswich hospital, an inquest revealed.
Collin Syddell, 84, was admitted to the hospital on January 5 this year suffering from chronic pain in his neck and back due to the advanced cancer.
An inquest at Ipswich County Court heard that on January 11 Mr Syddell, of Northfield Road, Onehouse, Stowmarket, fell onto his face as he walked along the ward. He was bruised and lost consciousness.
His visiting family said he later appeared normal but shaken, but he became unwell the following day and lost consciousness again.
A brain scan showed that Mr Syddell had suffered a brain haemorrhage and several recent strokes.
Due to his age and the advanced cancer, he was given symptomatic treatment only.
- 1 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Family's Christmas lights tribute to Jessica, 28, who died after giving birth
- 5 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
- 6 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 7 Snow falls over Suffolk and more sub-zero temperatures to come
- 8 Drunk woman attacked former partner with knife
- 9 Surprise snowglobe gift leaves Harvey, 4, 'over the moon'
- 10 Anti-crime campaigners plan Christmas grotto at tattoo studio
He died on January 13. A post mortem revealed that although the haemorrhage occurred as a result of the fall, a stroke may have caused him to collapse.
Greater Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean recorded a verdict of accidental death.