Man escapes DIY fire catastrophe

AN IPSWICH man has spoken of the terrifying moment he accidentally set fire to his home and has revealed he was lucky to get out alive.The 54-year-old man, who does not want to be named, said he panicked when a huge ball of flames engulfed his living room in Plover Road, Chantry, at just before 8am this morning.

AN IPSWICH man has spoken of the terrifying moment he accidentally set fire to his home and has revealed he was lucky to get out alive.

The 54-year-old man, who does not want to be named, said he panicked when a huge ball of flames engulfed his living room in Plover Road, Chantry, at just before 8am this morning.

He told The Star the accident happened after he dropped a bottle of paint thinner on the floor and attempted to pick it up while holding a cigarette in the other hand.

“It just went boom in an instant,” the man said.

“The fire spread straight up the wall, across the ceiling and down the other side.

“I was lucky to get out as when I went to open the door on the other side of the room the handle was red hot.

Most Read

“I flew out the door, closed it behind me and dialled 999 immediately,” he added.

Fire crews arrived at the house at around 8.27am and found the living room well alight.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze with a single hose reel jet and the occupant was treated with oxygen after inhaling smoke.

The fire was out by 9am and the house was ventilated.

Thousands of pounds worth of damage was caused.

The man said: “The fire officer told me I did well by closing the door because I contained the fire and saved the entire house from going up.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter