Man found in the River Orwell nearly four weeks after Orwell Bridge search is named as Philip Morgan
- Credit: Archant
A man whose body was found in the River Orwell after he was believed to have fallen from the Orwell Bridge has been named as Philip Morgan, of Norwich Road, Ipswich.
The 34-year-old was discovered in water in the area of Cliff Quay four days before Christmas.
An inquest into Mr Morgan’s death is due to be opened and adjourned today at Lowestoft Register Office in Gordon Road.
His body was found nearly a month after police said they had received a report of an apparently distressed man falling from the Orwell Bridge.
The incident occurred at around 11.30am on November 27.
A motorist had contacted police concerned about the man’s welfare.
However, officers were unable to locate him despite an extensive search during which they called in the coastguard to help.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 5 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 6 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 7 Aging gas main replacement works begin around Ipswich
- 8 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 9 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 10 Ipswich teen accused of brandishing machete tells court it was a plastic toy
In an effort to locate and identify the man police subsequently issued a photograph of a pair of blue Nike trainers which were found on the bridge.
A description of the person involved was also issued.
However, there was no trace of the man until Mr Morgan’s body was discovered at 8.45am on December 21.
Police were alerted after he was seen by passing sailors.
Mr Morgan’s body was recovered by the Harwich inshore lifeboat, the crew of which used the Orwell Yacht Club’s slipway where they were met by police and coastguard units.
At the time police said they were unable to say whether the man pulled from the river was the same man who was seen falling from the bridge.