Search

Man guilty of attacking bus driver

PUBLISHED: 23:00 22 December 2001 | UPDATED: 11:04 03 March 2010

A MAN who brutally attacked and robbed a bus driver sobbed as the jury revealed its guilty verdict.

Jonathan Swart, 28, was found guilty of attacking Spencer Peters as he walked along Yarmouth Road.

A MAN who brutally attacked and robbed a bus driver sobbed as the jury revealed its guilty verdict.

Jonathan Swart, 28, was found guilty of attacking Spencer Peters as he walked along Yarmouth Road.

Mr Peters had left work in Constantine Road, Ipswich, at about 11.30pm and was walking along Yarmouth Road when a man appeared from steps leading down to the river and demanded money.

Mr Peters had tried to push him away but was grabbed by his jacket and an attempt was made to throw him down the steps, said Stephen Franklin, prosecuting at Ipswich Crown Court.

Another man, alleged to be 28-year-old Jonathan Swart, had then appeared on the scene and both men had rained blows on Mr Peters' head and body.

At one stage Mr Peters had tried to crawl away but was allegedly dragged back by Swart.

Mr Peters was then pulled halfway down the steps leading to the river and another demand for money was made.

An attempt was made to remove his watch and the attack ended after Swart allegedly took £20 from Mr Peters' wallet.

Mr Peters managed to alert a passer by and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

As a result of the alleged attack which took place on April 30, Mr Peters was off work for six weeks and suffered chipped teeth, a black eye, a swollen nose and cut lips.

Mr Peters later picked Swart out at an identification parade.

Swart, of High Street, Needham Market, has denied robbing Mr Peters on April 30.

Giving evidence yesterday he claimed he had been at home with his girlfriend on the night of the alleged robbery.

Swart said after his girlfriend had left he had gone to bed with his young daughter cuddled up next to him.

He denied robbing Mr Peters and said he was shocked and upset when Mr Peters picked him out at the identification parade.

Swart is due to be sentenced on January 21, after a pre-sentence report has been prepared.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star