Man held in murder probe
POLICE were today questioning a murder suspect after a man died in hospital following an assault in Ipswich town centre.Officers were called to The Walk in Ipswich at about 8pm yesterday after reports that a man was bleeding from a head wound.
A 47-year-old man has been questioned in relation to an incident that led to the death of a man after he was left bleeding from a head wound.
Suffolk Police last night said they were treating the death as unexplained but confirmed a man had been arrested and bailed in connection with the assault pending further inquiries.
Meanwhile in a separate incident a 25-year-old Polish man suffered injuries to his neck and back after he was stabbed outside Zest nightclub in Ipswich in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Officers were called to The Walk in Ipswich at about 8pm on Friday after reports that a man was bleeding from a head wound.
It has not been revealed whether the victim was hit with an object or if he fell and hit his head.
Shortly after officers arrived, the man collapsed and an ambulance was called.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 3 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
- 4 Felixstowe man who trashed his ex's home ordered to pay compensation
- 5 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 6 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 7 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 9 'Real vote of confidence' - New Travelodge starts building work by stadium
- 10 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
Paramedics treated the victim at the scene and he was then taken to Ipswich Hospital by ambulance.
Police were informed at 9.45pm that the man had died from his injuries.
The victim is believed to be a 36-year-old from the Ipswich area.
His identity will not be released until next-of-kin have been informed.
Shortly after the incident police arrested a 47-year-old man, also believed to be from the Ipswich area.
He was kept in custody at Ipswich police station, where he was being interviewed by detectives in connection with the incident.
A spokeswoman for the force said: “Police are conducting initial inquiries to try and ascertain what happened and cordoned off an area of The Walk for forensic examination.
“We would appeal for anyone who was in The Walk, Lloyds Avenue, the Cornhill or Tavern Street between 7pm and 8.45pm on Friday who may have information which can help with inquiries, to contact police.”
The incident is believed to have happened near to the Tavern Street entrance to The Walk between Thornton's and the Boulangerie café.
Meanwhile in a separate incident a 25-year-old Polish man received a two inch cut to his back and head after he was stabbed outside Zest nightclub, Princes Street, Ipswich around 2am yesterday.
The victim was taken by ambulance to Ipswich Hospital but his injuries were not life threatening.
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said they were appealing for witnesses as no one had yet been detained in relation to the incident.
Anyone with information on both attacks is asked to call Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.