Man held over baby death
A MAN is being questioned by police today following the death of a four-week-old baby boy in Ipswich.The 31-year-old was arrested at a property in London Road yesterday after ambulance officers were called to Lanercost Way.
POLICE have today been given more time to question a man over the death of a four-week-old baby boy in Ipswich.
The 31-year-old was arrested at a property in London Road yesterday on suspicion of murder and grievous bodily harm after ambulance officers were called to Lanercost Way in the town just after 8.30am.
They were called with a report that a baby boy needed treatment. Neighbours reported hearing an ambulance arrive at the address at about 8.40am.
Soon after police put a cordon around the house and conducted door-to-door enquiries.
Suffolk police said following the arrival of the ambulance the baby was taken to Ipswich Hospital but he later died.
Today officers applied to magistrates for extra time to quiz the man. They were granted an extension to the custody period which will now expire at 5pm tomorrow.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 5 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Man with learning difficulties will not go to prison for sex offence
A police spokesman said yesterday: “Police are investigating the death of a baby in Ipswich.
“Officers were called by the ambulance service to an address in Lanercost Way at about 8.40am this morning after they had received a report of a four-week-old baby needing treatment.
“The baby boy was taken to Ipswich Hospital where he subsequently died.
“Police are treating the death as unexplained at this stage and a post mortem examination will be held in due course.”
The spokesman added that the baby's mother was being treated at Ipswich Hospital for injuries which he said were not life threatening.
He added: “Police subsequently attended an address in London Road, Ipswich, and arrested a 31-year-old man and he is currently at Ipswich police station.”