Man jailed after sex with 12-year-old
A MAN who had sex with a 12-year old girl has been locked up indefinitely for the protection of the public.Darren Cox was 23 when he became friendly with the schoolgirl and made sexual advances to her while he was at her house, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
A MAN who had sex with a 12-year old girl has been locked up indefinitely for the protection of the public.
Darren Cox was 23 when he became friendly with the schoolgirl and made sexual advances to her while he was at her house, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Robert Sadd, prosecuting, said Cox had removed his clothing and that of the girl and had started having sex with her before she pushed him away.
He had later put his hand down the girl's trousers and touched her indecently, said Mr Sadd.
Cox, now 25, of Cats Lane, Sudbury admitted two offences of sexual activity with a child.
Passing an indefinite jail sentence for public protection, Judge John Devaux said Cox would have to serve 15 months less 101 days he has spent in custody before he could be considered for release by the parole board.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
Cox was ordered to sign on the sex offenders' register indefinitely and was banned from working with children indefinitely.
The judge also made a sexual offences prevention order restricting Cox's contact with girls under 16 on his release from prison.
The court heard that after his arrest Cox said he thought he and the girl were boyfriend and girlfriend.
Christopher Morgan, for Cox, said his client only had an IQ of 65 and felt comfortable with people of the same developmental age as him which was around 13-16.