Man jailed for police chase into traffic on Ipswich one way system

Ipswich Crown Court

Ipswich Crown Court - Credit: Archant

A motorist who drove into oncoming traffic on the one-way system in Ipswich town centre during a police chase has been jailed for 18 months.

Timay Denton, 28, of Pauline Street, Ipswich, who was wanted by police for questioning following a shooting incident, had denied dangerous driving on November 24 last year but was found guilty by a jury after a trial at Ipswich Crown Court.

Jailing him for 18 months and banning him from driving for two years and nine months Judge Rupert Overbury said the dangerous driving had not lasted very long but this was because the police officers involved in the chase had halted it for safety reasons.

“It was an extremely dangerous piece of driving which put other road users in severe danger as you went the wrong way on the one way system,” said the judge.

He said Denton would have to take an extended retest at the end of the driving ban.

The court heard that police officers wanted to speak to Denton in connection with an alleged shooting incident in Ipswich and were shown a picture of him during a briefing on November 24 last year.

Several hours later a police officer saw a man he recognised as Denton driving a black jeep Renegade in Hartley Street, said David Wilson, prosecuting.

Most Read

During the chase that followed Denton ignored the blue flashing light on the police car, drove into oncoming traffic on Stoke Bridge, jumped a red traffic light and drove at 60mph in a 30mph.

During the chase he collided with a Vauxhall Astra in the one way system before abandoning the jeep in Christchurch Street.

After the jury’s verdict Mr Wilson said Denton had been wanted for questioning by police on November 24 following a shooting incident in Ipswich.

He said the alleged victim of the shooting, which was connected to the supply of drugs, hadn’t co-operated with the police during the investigation into the incident.

Ian Persaud, representing Denton, told the court that although police officers had wanted to question Denton about the alleged incident he had never been charged with any offence arising out of it.