Man killed as car hits pedestrians
A WORKMAN has been killed and another seriously injured after a car left the road following a crash and ploughed into them.
A WORKMAN has been killed and another seriously injured after a vehicle left the road and crashed into them in an horrific accident.
The tragedy happened in Littlebury Green, near Saffron Walden, and the 53-year-old victim was declared dead at the scene.
Police said a silver Vauxhall Corsa driven by a 19-year-old man from the Saffron Walden area was in collision with a grey VW Golf estate driven by a 47-year-old man from Hadstock in Cambridgeshire.
As a result of the collision, police said the VW Golf left the road and struck two men who were carrying out maintenance work on a street sign adjacent to the road.
One man suffered serious injuries to his head and back, but these are not thought to be life threatening and he is being treated at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge. His colleague was killed.
- 1 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 4 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 5 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 9 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 10 Did you stop for a pint in one of these Foxhall Road pubs?
The 19-year-old driver of the Vauxhall Corsa was arrested on suspicion of careless driving and has been released on police bail until December.
Police shut the road for approximately four-and-a-half hours while they carried out their investigation and recovered the vehicles.
The Health and Safety Executive has been made aware of the incident, which happened at 1.45pm on Friday.
Police officers from Dunmow Road Policing Unit would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or may have seen either vehicle close to the location of the crash, officers can be contacted on 0300 333 4444.