Man recovers after fire ordeal

A SUFFOLK man is continuing his recovery today after being released from hospital following treatment for severe smoke inhalation.Fire took hold at 57-year-old Ian Taylor's home in Heath View, Leiston, in the early hours of Thursday February 7.

A SUFFOLK man is continuing his recovery today after being released from hospital following treatment for severe smoke inhalation.

Fire took hold at 57-year-old Ian Taylor's home in Heath View, Leiston, in the early hours of Thursday February 7.

Mr Taylor, who was asleep at the time, was rescued by firefighters after neighbours Robert Burrows and his wife June raised the alarm.

Mr Taylor's partner Debbie Keeble, 43, of Valley Road, Ipswich, said his condition was so bad he spent time in intensive care and didn't leave hospital until Thursday, a full week after the fire.

She said: “He couldn't hardly talk or anything. If it weren't for June and Bob he would have died. As soon as I heard what happened I started panicking.

“I went straight to the hospital and they had a breathing mask over him and everything. He's much better now.”

Most Read

Ms Keeble said Mr Taylor is staying at a bed and breakfast in Ipswich while alternate accommodation is found.

Three fire crews from Leiston, Aldeburgh and Saxmundham attended the blaze and took around an hour to bring the flames under control after rescuing Mr Taylor.

He was conscious when medics arrived and was taken to Ipswich Hospital.

Assistant divisional officer Dave Atkinson praised the efforts of Mr and Mrs Burrows - and highlighted the importance of having a working fire alarm.

He said: “I think the smoke alarm was only recently installed. This is a prime example of why you should have one - had it not been for the alarm, this could have been a lot worse.”