Man found in water beneath Stoke Bridge in Ipswich arrested on suspicion of marina burglary
Police called to reports of a man having fallen from Stoke Bridge into the River Orwell this morning have revealed that he has been arrested on suspicion of a burglary on the marina.
Emergency services were called at around 4.40am, and initially reported the incident as a man having fallen from the bridge.
However, police this afternoon confirmed that there were reports of a burglary in progress on a boat in the marina at new Cut east.
Police earlier said the man was found in the water under the bridge, but he was able to climb out.
A spokesman from Suffolk police offering an update this afternoon said: “Police swiftly attended and witnessed a man fitting the description given walking towards Stoke Bridge.
“It is believed that the suspect then lowered himself into the water at the quayside and hid in a void under New Cut East.
“The suspect was located a short time later and was detained on suspicion of burglary.”
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 7 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich man found with indecent images of children is facing jail
The suspect – man in his 30s – was taken to hospital for assessment after he was cold coming out of the water, before being taken to martlesham police investigation centre for questioning.
Emergency services including East of England Ambulance Service, Suffolk Fire and Rescue and HM Coastguard also attended the incident.
Three fire engines, two from Ipswich east and one from Princes Street, were sent to the scene.
A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “One person was rescued from under the bridge and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
“We received the call from police at 5.01am.”
An ambulance spokesman added: “We were called to Ipswich at 5.23am today.
“A rapid response vehicle and ambulance crew were dispatched.
“The patient was taken to Ipswich Hospital with a minor injury.”