Man saved from burning flat

A SUFFOLK couple have been praised for saving a man's life after raising the alarm and prompting a dramatic rescue from a blazing building.Robert Burrows and his wife June contacted emergency services after fire took hold in the flat directly above theirs shortly after 1am today.

Neil Puffett

A SUFFOLK couple have been praised for saving a man's life after raising the alarm and prompting a dramatic rescue from a blazing building.

Robert Burrows and his wife June contacted emergency services after fire took hold in the flat directly above theirs shortly after 1am today.

The bedroom of the property, in Heath View, Leiston, was in flames with the tenant, believed to be 57-year-old Ian Taylor, still inside.

It is believed the tenant had left a lit cigarette near his bed and then fallen asleep in the toilet.

Mr Burrows, 59, said: “We got home just before 1am and my wife could hear the fire alarm going.

Most Read

“We started to smell smoke so we went outside and my wife went to try the door but couldn't get in.

“We dialled 999 and asked for police, fire and ambulance. We saved his life. We got praised for it, they said we did a good job and it could have been a lot worse. He could have died if it wasn't for that.”

Mr Burrows' wife June, 57, said: “I stayed calm and didn't panic. If it weren't for us being here he wouldn't have been okay.”

Three fire crews from Leiston, Aldeburgh and Saxmundham attended the blaze and took around an hour to bring the flames under control after rescuing the man.

He was taken to Ipswich Hospital and was conscious when medics arrived.

Assistant divisional officer Dave Atkinson praised the efforts of Mr and Mrs Burrows - and highlighted the importance of having a working fire alarm.

He said: “I think the smoke alarm was only recently installed.

“This is a prime example of why you should have one - had it not been for the alarm, this could have been a lot worse.

“The tenant would have been trapped and we could have been dealing with something very serious.

“Fortunately, the neighbours heard the alarm going off, smelt smoke and called the fire service.

“And because of the prompt action of the crew from Leiston, who were first on the scene, this man's life was saved.”

n. Were you the man who was rescued? Contact The Evening Star news desk on 01473 324788 or email starnews@eveningstar.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter