Man shot in Spanish villa raid
A BUSINESSMAN from Suffolk was fighting for his life in a Spanish hospital today after being shot by burglars who raided his luxury villa.Brian Cowan, who lived in Felixstowe before moving to Alhaurin on the Costa Del Sol, was believed to be inside a bedroom of the property when burglars burst into the room in the early hours of Wednesday.
A BUSINESSMAN from Suffolk was fighting for his life in a Spanish hospital today after being shot by burglars who raided his luxury villa.
Brian Cowan, who lived in Felixstowe before moving to Alhaurin on the Costa Del Sol, was believed to be inside a bedroom of the property when burglars burst into the room in the early hours of Wednesday.
The former haulage boss is thought to have been shot three times, while his helpless wife, Linda, looked on. She was struck on the head by one of the gunmen, and needed stitches to the wound.
She said: "He is still in a very serious condition and is still unconscious. We are just praying that Brian will pull through."
You may also want to watch:
The attackers fled the scene in a vehicle parked outside with what is thought to be jewellery including a gold chain and Rolex watch.
Mr Cowan's wife called the emergency services and her husband, known as Jock to colleagues, was taken to the University Hospital of Malaga, where he is suffering serious internal injuries.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 5 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 9 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 10 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths
Surgeons operated on Mr Cowan, who is believed to be in his 60s, round the clock but he remains in intensive care.
Spanish police have launched a major investigation and are carrying out a painstaking search of the property in a bid to track down the offenders.