Man shot outside prison
A MAN was shot dead outside Wandsworth Prison today, the Metropolitan Police said.Emergency services were called to the south west London jail at about 2.
A MAN was shot dead outside Wandsworth Prison today, the Metropolitan Police said.
Emergency services were called to the south west London jail at about 2.30pm after reports of a gunfire.
Police are hunting two men seen running away from the scene. It is believed the man was leaving the prison after visiting an inmate.
mfl A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We were called at 2.30pm to Heathfield Road after reports of a man shot outside the prison.
"On arrival we found a man with gunshot wounds. Ambulance staff were treating him at the scene. He subsequently died.
"Two men were seen running away from the area towards Alma Terrace. Searches are ongoing. Several nearby roads have been cordoned off."
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 5 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 7 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 8 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 9 List of 18 rejected proposals to save Felixstowe beach huts revealed
- 10 Fuel spillage causes delays on busy Ipswich road after truck breaks down
A London Ambulance Service (LAS) spokesman said: "We were called at approximately 2.30pm to reports of a shooting on the Earlsfield Road.
"We sent two single response vehicles and two ambulance crews, an officer and an air ambulance doctor in a car.
"Sadly an adult male patient was pronounced dead at the scene.'
mfl The shooting took place in the car park outside the prison, it is understood.
The victim was leaving the jail after visiting an inmate when he was gunned down. At least four shots were fired.