Man taken to hospital after being hit by unmarked police car in Ipswich pursuit
- Credit: Archant
A man chased by police through Ipswich was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg after he collided with an unmarked police car.
The chase took place in the St Helens Street area of the town at around 1.40pm on Friday, June 23.
Officers were pursuing the man on foot before he ran across the road and was hit by the unmarked police vehicle, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said.
Witnesses gathered outside their homes and nearby shops as paramedics worked on the man at the scene, before he was carried into an ambulance wearing handcuffs.
The man sustained leg injuries – including a possible broken leg. He was taken to hospital for treatment.
A section of the road which closed while an investigation took place reopened at around 3.50pm, police said.
There have not yet been any arrests by police investigating this incident.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 3 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 7 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 8 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 9 Caribbean trailer to open soon in town centre
- 10 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
The unmarked police vehicle was recovered as part of the investigation and the man is believed to still be in hospital.
The reason why police were pursuing the man has not yet been released.
Police are asking anyone who saw the incident to call Suffolk police on 101, quoting CAD number 247 of Friday, June 23.