Man to face court over Dinah murder
THE FATHER of a murdered Essex girl last night welcomed news that a man has been formally accused of killing her - 17 years after she went missing.
THE FATHER of a murdered Essex girl last night welcomed news that a man has been formally accused of killing her -17 years after she went missing.
Prosecutors yesterday issued a summons to a 62-year-old man in relation to the death of 18-year-old Dinah McNicol, who disappeared after a music festival in 1991.
Miss McNicol's body was found buried in the garden of the man's former home, a terraced house in Margate, in November last year.
Last night her father, Ian McNicol, of Tillingham, near Maldon, told of the “lovely relief” the news brought him after the “worst year of them all” for his family, following the re-opening of police inquiries.
He said: “After 17 years of being up and down, through hell and back, it is very good news for me and my family.”
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 5 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 7 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 8 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 9 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 10 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
However he said he would be unable to comment further until he had spoken with Essex Police.
A Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) spokeswoman confirmed a summons has been issued accusing the man of murdering Miss McNicol, a former Chelmsford County High School for Girls pupil.
She said: “The investigation was led by Essex Police and the CPS complex casework unit.
“We advised Essex Police two weeks ago to start the prosecution for the murder of Dinah McNicol.
“A summons was issued today and will be served on his solicitors in the near future.”
Miss McNicol went missing in August 1991 after attending a festival in Liphook, Hampshire.
Her body was found in November last year, during a police search at the Margate property.
The 62-year-old is due to appear before Colchester Magistrates' Court on September 18, where he will be formally charged.