Man who stamped on 63-year-old’s head after dispute at The Inkerman in Ipswich spared jail

The cordon around The Inkerman pub following the assault by Thompson

The cordon around The Inkerman pub following the assault by Thompson - Credit: Archant

A ground worker who stamped on a 63-year-old man’s head seven times in a drunken closing time brawl outside an Ipswich pub has been spared jailed.

Dale Thompson, of Chaucer Road, Ipswich, had pleaded guilty at the town’s crown court to actual bodily harm on Graham Fox after a fight erupted at The Inkerman in Norwich Road.

Mr Fox, an HGV driver, spent two days in hospital after the assault, which occurred in the early hours of December 12, 2015.

Sentencing Thompson to 15 months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, Recorder Rex Bryan said the 38-year-old was fortunate not to have received an immediate prison sentence.

The judge, who was impressed by Thompson’s character references, said: “In this case you lost it. You and the victim had had far too much to drink and from what I have seen you continued to assault him in the way you did.

“For an offence of actual bodily harm this is as bad as it gets.”

Earlier in the hearing Charles Falk, prosecuting, said Thompson had been in the pub with two friends, and Mr Fox had been with a friend.

Most Read

Both parties had seemed to be interacting with no problems during the evening and into the early hours.

The court was told Thompson and Mr Fox had each consumed eight pints of lager and vodkas.

After other customers had left The Inkerman a dispute broke out between the two parties at closing time.

The groups came together and the barmaid pushed Mr Fox and his friend outside.

Mr Fox went back inside the pub and punched Thompson twice,

By this time four men were involved and the dispute spilled out into the street.

Mr Fox walked away, followed by Thompson.

A motorist driving past at around 2.55am saw the pair struggling on the path. Mr Fox ended up in the road.

In total Thompson was said to have stamped on Mr Fox’s head seven times despite the motorist sounding her horn to get him to stop.

Mr Fox’s injuries meant he was unable to work for four weeks.

Thompson was said to have been extremely remorseful.

He must pay Mr Fox £1,000 compensation and a further £600 in court costs and a surcharge.

In addition Thompson must carry out 150 hours’ unpaid work.