Manchester: Mother arrested after four-year-old daughter found dead at home
A MOTHER is under arrest on suspicion of murder after her four-year-old daughter was found dead.
The 31-year-old woman walked into Manchester Royal Infirmary at around 7.15pm last night and “expressed concerns” about the welfare of her child to doctors and nurses.
Staff contacted police, who went to a house on Garthorne Close in Moss Side, around two miles from the hospital.
At the address, a two-storey council house, officers made the grim discovery of the child’s body.
It is understood there are no obvious signs of injury to the child and a post-mortem examination will take place to establish cause of death.
Sources said the woman under arrest is the mother of the child and had gone into the hospital and told staff her daughter was dead.
It is believed police are not looking for anyone else in relation to the murder.
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 5 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 6 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 7 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 10 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
A source close to the inquiry described the incident as “sad and tragic”.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “Police have launched a murder inquiry after the death of a four-year-old girl.
“At 7.15pm on Thursday September 22 2011, police were contacted by staff at the Manchester Royal Infirmary after a woman came into the hospital and expressed concerns about the welfare of a four-year-old girl.
“Officers then attended at a house on Garthorne Close in Moss Side and found a four-year-old girl deceased.
“Inquiries to establish the circumstances surrounding her death are ongoing.
“A 31-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody for questioning.”