Days Gone By: Mannings Amusements opening for a new season in 1982
PUBLISHED: 05:00 30 July 2018
Mannings Amusements has been a popular destination with visitors to Felixstowe seafront for decades and to this day it continues to draw in crowds either escaping the rain or seeking respite from the sun.
Opened back in 1933, the attraction was built by Sir Billy Butlin and it became one of the holiday camp owners early resorts.
Current owners the Mannings took over management in 1946 and it has been in the family ever since.
Over the years the attraction has changed and evolved dramatically. When it first opened there was a man-made boating lake with an island in the middle that was home to monkeys, and visitors were able to row round the island.
Each year Manning’s would celebrate the first day of the season with a free ride day and there were famously queues of excited children running through the gates to take advantage.
Here we share pictures of the opening day of 1982 season, with marching bands performing out the front and guests enjoying all the rides on offer.