Nostalgia: Ballroom by name but remembered for its long nights of rock and roll
From Cream to Rod Stewart to The Jam, Ipswich’s Manor Ballroom has seen a host of big stars grace its stage over the past five decades.
Rod – Sir Rod today – played at the much-loved venue in St Margaret’s Green back in the mid-60s with Shotgun Express (whose other members included Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green, founders of Fleetwood Mac) before joining the Jeff Beck Group.
Other major stars to have played there include Dr Feelgood, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers and The Nice.
But the venue has always been a home to a wide variety of events, including formal dinners, beauty contests, ballroom dance and many events held by local organisations.
Today it still hosts live music alongside family celebrations and wedding parties, with seating for 200 people.
You may also want to watch:
What’s your favourite memories of the Manor Ballroom? Contact Judy Rimmer by email: email@example.com
- 1 Tributes paid to Ipswich's 'best-loved shopkeeper' Hajara 'Sid' Singh
- 2 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 3 Police on scene of 'ongoing incident' in Ipswich cul-de-sac
- 4 Critical care full and nearly 700 patients fighting Covid in hospital
- 5 Closure of Debenhams stores in Suffolk and north Essex confirmed
- 6 Kesgrave woman writes book on incredible journey from suicide attempt to ultra marathon
- 7 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 8 Severe delays on A14 following collision between lorry and car
- 9 Ipswich Town 'disappointed' at newspaper stance - Evans stands by Lambert
- 10 Death of 'happy go lucky' woman could not have been predicted