Martlesham and Ipswich drink-drivers lose their licences

Inspector Julian Ditcham breath tests a motorist.

Inspector Julian Ditcham breath tests a motorist.

A Martlesham woman has been banned from driving for 20 months for being more than three times the drink-drive limit.

Victoria Bailey, of Waldringfield Road, was also given a nine-month community order after admitting drink-driving when she appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court.

The 38-year-old committed the offence at the Framfield Medical Centre car park in Ipswich Road, Woodbridge, on March 7.

Prosecutor Wayne Ablett said Bailey was found in her Skoda Octavia just after 6pm.

The car’s ignition was running and the headlights were on.

A roadside breath test indicated a positive reading and a subsequent test on an intoximeter showed Bailey had 119 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

The court was told Bailey made full admissions to what she had done in her police interview.

Most Read

She said she had driven to the doctors’ surgery after consuming alcohol, but could not recall how much.

Mr Ablett said Bailey had no previous convictions.

Sue Threadkell, representing Bailey, said her client had mental health issues and turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism.

The court also heard the offence was triggered by a set of emotional circumstances.

In addition to her ban and community order Bailey was fined £100.

She must also pay costs of £85 and £20 to the victims’ fund.

In a separate hearing another drink-driver was also banned.

Peter Plume, of Alderlee, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to drink-driving on April 2.

The 68-year-old was caught on the A140 at Scole on the Suffolk/Norfolk border.

The court heard police received a phone call just after 5.30pm from another motorist stating they were following a car which was mounting the kerb and crossing the central reservation.

The Rover was also driving well below the speed limit.

When Plume was breath tested it showed he had 42mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath.

Plume, representing himself, told the court. “I drank too much. I shouldn’t have done it on a empty stomach. I could have killed somebody.”

He was disqualified from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay fines and costs totalling £305.