Massive step forward for Ipswich
A MULTI-MILLION pound business deal was today described as a "massive step forward" for Ipswich.As revealed in Thursday's Evening Star, London-based developer Fairview Homes has bought 9.
A MULTI-MILLION pound business deal was today described as a "massive step forward" for Ipswich.
As revealed in Thursday's Evening Star, London-based developer Fairview Homes has bought 9.3 acres of land on the current Parkside site.
If planning permission is granted, then work is expected to start in two years time and approximately 300 flats will be built on the area. There will also be a commercial ground floor with 15,000 sq ft of space for business use.
James Hehir, chief executive of Ipswich Borough Council, believes the developments are another promising sign of Ipswich's expanding future.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "It is great news that someone has bought the land. It is a really big site and it is a massive step forward to the waterfront development. It is another vote of confidence in Ipswich.
"We are building homes and commercial buildings on the site and it will be a whole new community. What is going on down there has really taken off."
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 3 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 4 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 5 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 6 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 7 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 8 35 pictures from Ipswich Town's friendly clash with Palace
- 9 Christmas in July! Ipswich friends host summer festive feast
- 10 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
Mr Hehir thinks it also a boost for the £110million project to develop a new university in the town.
He said: "It will be a sensible place to consider student accommodation as it links in neatly with the university project.
"The key thing is it is part of the university quarter and it helps to bring the quarter forward.
"I do not think people realise how much development and expansion there is on the waterfront area."
n What do you think of the proposed developments? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk