Mayor hits out at mob rule
A RESORT'S mayor says she and other community leaders will not bow to mob rule and will stand up and be counted over the tough decisions.Joan Sennington was speaking after councillors were manhandled and frightened by protesters as they turned up for a meeting to discuss where to build 1,620 new homes at Felixstowe.
A RESORT'S mayor says she and other community leaders will not bow to mob rule and will stand up and be counted over the tough decisions.
Joan Sennington was speaking after councillors were manhandled and frightened by protesters as they turned up for a meeting to discuss where to build 1,620 new homes at Felixstowe.
One of those who was jostled was former mayor Ann Rodwell, who is terminally ill with cancer but felt it her duty to attend.
Mrs Sennington has been attacked by campaigners for saying “go away you stupid people” to those outside the hall - and protesters have called for her to apologise.
“I will not deny I said those words and it is easy to regret them now, but I found the mood and actions outside the meeting were physically and verbally threatening. I was more terrified than I have ever been in my life,” she said.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 5 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 7 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 8 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 9 List of 18 rejected proposals to save Felixstowe beach huts revealed
- 10 Fuel spillage causes delays on busy Ipswich road after truck breaks down
“I would make it clear that I do not have any criticisms of the right of people to peacefully and properly protest, or to campaign for what they think is right.
“However, if those campaigners cross the line, and become verbally and physically threatening, and if they have mistakenly or deliberately whipped up emotions and expectations, then I think it is completely right to describe their actions as stupid.
“Mob rule cannot be allowed to take over, and despite still being in shock I and the town council will stand up and be counted.”