Mayor hits out at mob rule
A RESORT'S mayor says she and other community leaders will not bow to mob rule and will stand up and be counted over the tough decisions.Joan Sennington was speaking after councillors were manhandled and frightened by protesters as they turned up for a meeting to discuss where to build 1,620 new homes at Felixstowe.
A RESORT'S mayor says she and other community leaders will not bow to mob rule and will stand up and be counted over the tough decisions.
Joan Sennington was speaking after councillors were manhandled and frightened by protesters as they turned up for a meeting to discuss where to build 1,620 new homes at Felixstowe.
One of those who was jostled was former mayor Ann Rodwell, who is terminally ill with cancer but felt it her duty to attend.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Sennington has been attacked by campaigners for saying “go away you stupid people” to those outside the hall - and protesters have called for her to apologise.
“I will not deny I said those words and it is easy to regret them now, but I found the mood and actions outside the meeting were physically and verbally threatening. I was more terrified than I have ever been in my life,” she said.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 7 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 8 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 9 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 10 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
“I would make it clear that I do not have any criticisms of the right of people to peacefully and properly protest, or to campaign for what they think is right.
“However, if those campaigners cross the line, and become verbally and physically threatening, and if they have mistakenly or deliberately whipped up emotions and expectations, then I think it is completely right to describe their actions as stupid.
“Mob rule cannot be allowed to take over, and despite still being in shock I and the town council will stand up and be counted.”