Memorial for road crash student
FRIENDS and family of a Suffolk art student killed in a road crash were due to meet today for a service dedicated to her life.Northgate High School is holding an assembly in memory of Lucy Simmons who was driving to the school on February 7 when the car left the road and collided with a tree.
FRIENDS and family of a Suffolk art student killed in a road crash were due to meet today for a service dedicated to her life.
Northgate High School is holding an assembly in memory of Lucy Simmons who was driving to the school on February 7 when the car left the road and collided with a tree.
Her friends and staff at the school led the tributes to her immediately after the tragedy - describing her as a bubbly, popular and talented young woman.
Today, they will be joining with members of the 20-year-old's family - including her parents Jonathan and Vanessa, brother Ben and sister Georgia - to celebrate her life and time at the school's sixth form.
Neil Watts, headteacher, said: “We've come to remember Lucy as a very special student.
“Her time with us was so sadly cut short but today is very much about remembering the times she had with us which we can be glad about. It's a celebration of her time with us at the sixth form.
- 1 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 4 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 5 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 7 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 8 Soldier headbutted police officer after being caught drink driving
- 9 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 10 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
“It's a service to remember her. I'll give an introduction, one of her best friends Mark Hutton will talk about her on behalf of her friends and Iain Trench, the deputy headteacher of the sixth form, will talk on behalf of staff.
“She was very popular and talented student. She was full of personality and was predicted very good grades in all her subjects.”
The service will be attended by Lucy's former year 13 students and will be opened and closed with music from one of her favourite musical groups, the Black Eyed Peas.
Lucy, of Eye Road, Rishangles, was in her second year at the school, studying art, psychology and religious studies A-levels, having joined the sixth form from Hartismere High School. It was believed she wanted to go on to study fashion design.
She had been on her way to classes and was just a short distance from her home when the accident happened on the B1077 in the village.
Did you know Lucy Simmons? Would you like to pay tribute to her? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org