Memories from the Ipswich to Felixstowe Car Rally at Christchurch Park in 1980
- Credit: Archant
Today’s Days Gone By is very much for car and bike enthusiasts as we take a look back at the Ipswich to Felixstowe Car Rally at Christchurch Park in 1980.
A huge crowd gathered in the park to wander through the lines of vehicles ranging from classic cars and motorbikes.
The then Mayor of Ipswich led the procession as a passenger in one of the historic vehicles.
The Ipswich to Felixstowe Car Rally is an annual event which sees up to 500 vehicles participate. The vehicles make a 10-mile journey from Christchurch Park to Felixstowe promenade and is still a highlight of the local calendar.
Organised by Ipswich Transport Museum, with help from volunteers, the event has been running for 49 years and is traditionally held on the first Sunday in May.
Did you attend the event in 1980? Can you spot yourself or someone you know in this picture gallery? Or have you taken part in more recent years?
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women