Men still held after yacht drama
POLICE are today still holding five men in connection with an alleged attempt to smuggle ten illegal immigrants in to the country.Suffolk Police confirmed that the men were still being held in Ipswich while the ten others were being held in Harwich where they are being questioned by immigration officials.
By Victoria Knowles
POLICE are today still holding five men in connection with an alleged attempt to smuggle ten illegal immigrants in to the country.
Suffolk Police confirmed that the men were still being held in Ipswich while the ten others were being held in Harwich where they are being questioned by immigration officials.
The smugglers, two believed to be Dutch, one French, one Indian and one Bangladeshi were arrested and taken to Ipswich police station.
The early morning drama unfolded yesterday when a Suffolk life boat was called to the aid of a stricken yacht just off the Suffolk coast.
The Pim ran into difficulties about 12 miles off the Aldeburgh coast and radioed for help around 2.30am.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
It was towed in to Shotley Marina and this was when the men ran off the boat and in to a waiting transit van.
It is believed they were later stopped on the A12 near Capel at around 6.50am.
This was the second swoop in a week off the Suffolk coast.
On Monday two men were arrested at Bawdsey Quay.
They appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates charged with facilitating the entry of illegal aliens into the United Kingdom.