Mencap float on tour
ONE of Ipswich's traditional festive highlights will take to the streets next week.The Mencap Old Tyme Christmas float has been touring the town's streets for more than 20 years, collecting more than £10,000 each year.
ONE of Ipswich's traditional festive highlights will take to the streets next week.
The Mencap Old Tyme Christmas float has been touring the town's streets for more than 20 years, collecting more than £10,000 each year.
Mencap have a team of 40 dedicated volunteers who will spread 16 nights of collection between them.
Brian Curtis, who co-ordinates the event, said: "I have been running this for the last four years. It helps you get in the Christmas spirit.
"There is a friendly atmosphere with the collectors."
The money raised on the collections goes directly to people who need it.
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 3 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 4 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 5 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 6 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 7 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 8 'Dedicated and devoted' - tributes paid to retired teacher Annick Smith
- 9 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
Those with learning disabilities write to Orwell Mencap detailing equipment they need and are then considered for a grant.
While collecting the cash volunteers and residents have lots of fun with carols often beamed out from the church themed float.
Father Christmas often accompanies the pilgrimage and volunteers also dress up.
The float will begin its annual tour of Ipswich on Wednesday, December 1 and will travel from the Lattice Barn through the Woodbridge Road area.
On December 2 it will in the Felixstowe Road area and on December 3 it will travel the Chantry area.
It will then travel through Tuddenham Road on December 4, Racecourse on December 6; the Suffolk Punch on December 7; Grange Farm on December 8; the town centre on December 9; The Golf pub area and Bixley Road on December 10; the Railway pub area including Foxhall Road on December 11; The Maidenhall area on December 13; the Whitehouse area on December 14; The Crofts on December 15; The Dales on December 17 and the Royal George pub area on December 18.
N To volunteer to help on any of the evenings contact Anne or Brian Curtis on 01473 710478 or Genesis in Wright Road on 01473 723888.
N Anyone wishing to be considered for a donation from this year's collection write, in the first instance, to Mrs A Curtis, Orwell Mencap, 6 Wright Road, Ipswich IP3 9JG.