Mentors find right match at school
MENTORS from a top Suffolk-based business are to be matched with pupils at an Ipswich high school.Holywells High students in year ten –aged 15 and 16 - will be matched with 21 employees at BTexact Technologies to meet on a regular basis in the school at Lindberg Road.
By Tracey Sparling
MENTORS from a top Suffolk-based business are to be matched with pupils at an Ipswich high school.
Holywells High students in year ten –aged 15 and 16 - will be matched with 21 employees at BTexact Technologies to meet on a regular basis in the school at Lindberg Road.
Pupils will also have a chance to visit their mentors at their workplace and see what their daily working life entails.
You may also want to watch:
They were matched together for the first time on September 11 after BTexact staff toured the school.
The aim is to build confidence and self esteem by involving adults who have a listening ear, as well as improve academic performance.
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 3 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 4 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 5 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 6 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
Angela Dyer, county co-ordinator for mentoring and employee volunteering, said: "There are over 40 schools throughout Suffolk that have a mentoring scheme of one type or another, and the benefits for students and schools are clearly visible in raising the confidence and expectations of the students.
"Businesses chose to get involved as it is a positive way of making links with the communities in which they operate, while at the same time allowing their staff to enhance the valuable skills such as communication and negotiation in a very rewarding way."
For more information, call 01473 406620.