Miracle escape as girders fall off crane
WORKMEN at the new TXU headquarters had a miraculous escape after steel girders plummeted from a snapped crane cable.A 21-year-old man was taken to hospital after the girders crashed onto his lorry, flipping him on to the ground.
WORKMEN at the new TXU headquarters had a miraculous escape after steel girders plummeted from a snapped crane cable.
A 21-year-old man was taken to hospital after the girders crashed onto his lorry, flipping him on to the ground.
But, incredibly, he escaped with only minor injuries and was back working on the site the next day.
The accident happened during work being carried out by construction firm Carters on the car park at the state-of-the-art £35million Russell Road site.
An ambulance rushed to the scene at about 2.20pm on Thursday - a spokeswoman confirmed a 21-year-old man had been taken to hospital.
But Carters site official Peter Brightey confirmed the worker was back on the site and that building work would carry on as normal.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 6 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 7 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 10 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
He said: "The crane is lifting steel as we speak. It was just one of those unfortunate things that happen."
Health and Safety Executive officials mounted an immediate investigation.
TXU spokesman Christian Judge said initial findings from the investigation showed it was an accident.
He said: "Following the incident an immediate investigation was instigated.
"The HSE were informed and their preliminary findings show the persons involved were properly qualified and all the equipment was within the certified limits.
"More importantly, we understand the gentleman was not seriously injured, which is the primary concern.
"No injury can be taken lightly - even if it's a just a graze it's too much."