Missing the old tree? Take a look at how Ipswich town centre was lit up for Christmas in years gone by
- Credit: Archant
Tonight the lights will be switched on in Ipswich, heralding the start of the Christmas season and the first night of late-night Christmas shopping.
The white balls will again stand in the place of the traditional Christmas tree on the Cornhill, angering many readers. But this will be the last year, and next Christmas it will be relocated to make way for a green fir once more.
For those who miss the tree, we have takena look back at the decorations used in years gone by and our photo above was taken in 1978 when the streets were filled with busy shoppers taking advantage of the later shopping hours.
The crowd are seen eagerly awaiting the lights switch on that year, with a live interview with Santa amongst some of the special attractions that year.
The Evening Star’s tree was at the heart of the event, as it was for many years,
Brass band’s envoloped the town in festive music that marked the beginnings of the Christmas build up as seen here in 1984.
Were you at the Christmas light switch on in 1984? Let us know.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 8 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
- 9 Inquest into death of 32-year-old woman in Barham crash postponed
- 10 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
As time prgoressesed, so did the Christmas light switch event, and in this photo from 1987 we see fair ground rides added.
A very special guest was also in attendance at the 1987 Christmas light switch on, with children queuing up to make sure Santa had their christmas letters, Are you in this photo?
Nothing kicks off the Christmas period quite like the official light switch on. Did you attend any of these light switch ons, let us know via email.