Mole prepares for Clarkson backlash
IPSWICH MP Chris Mole is bracing himself today for an expected onslaught from Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson.Mr Mole has caused a storm by calling for Mr Clarkson to be sacked from the BBC after making a joke about lorry drivers murdering prostitutes.
IPSWICH MP Chris Mole is bracing himself today for an expected onslaught from Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson.
Mr Mole has caused a storm by calling for Mr Clarkson to be sacked from the BBC after making a joke about lorry drivers murdering prostitutes.
The MP told the Star that he had received 40 or 50 hostile e-mails accusing him of “BBC bashing” and saying he did not understand Clarkson's sense of humour.
“Some of the e-mails were very strong - although I must say almost all were sent from outside Ipswich,” he said.
“It is a bit irritating to be accused of BBC bashing because I'm a great supporter of the BBC and I feel it is right to have edgy humour - but on this occasion Jeremy Clarkson overstepped the mark and caused a great deal of offence.”
Mr Mole is expected a salvo from the presenter - who has targeted him before.
- 1 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 2 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 3 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 4 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 5 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 6 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
- 7 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
- 8 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
- 9 Peugeot stolen from Ipswich pub car park
- 10 Delays on A14 after Orwell Bridge incident
“I'm sure he will have something to say about me on Top Gear - he had a go at me when I signed the letter calling for Tony Blair to give a timetable.
“I don't know why he singled me out for criticism at that time - I think it might have been because I was the only one of us with a beard! But it makes me suspect that he'll have something to say about me on Top Gear. It doesn't worry me either way.”
The show is recorded on a Wednesday - and Mr Mole issued his call for Mr Clarkson to be sacked late on Wednesday, giving the presenter no time to respond for tomorrow's show.
But next Sunday could be a different matter . . . if he is still at the helm of the top-rated show by then!