More than seven decades of joint service
MORE than 40 years after joining the company a Felixstowe couple has just clocked up a total of 71 years service at the same firm. Alan and Val Shacklock, both 62, of Glemsford Close, have been working for the company now known as Actaris, in Langer Road, Felixstowe, since 1962.
MORE than 40 years after joining the company a Felixstowe couple has just clocked up a total of 71 years service at the same firm.
Alan and Val Shacklock, both 62, of Glemsford Close, have been working for the company now known as Actaris, in Langer Road, Felixstowe, since 1962.
They joined when it was based in Enfield. But when it uprooted to Felixstowe in 1964 they tailed along.
Mr Shacklock has now been at the company for an unbroken period of 41 years, while his wife, Val, has recorded more than 20 years.
Although Mrs Shacklock joined the company a week earlier than her husband, maternity leave and a period of redundancy has intermitted her service.
The couple, who have two grown up children, have occupied various positions at the company, which provides metering products and systems for electricity, gas, water and heat. The couple currently works on the manufacture of the products.
- 1 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 6 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 7 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 10 'My son has never seen a health visitor' - Pandemic parents battle
Mr Shacklock, a former butcher, said adjusting to life in Felixstowe was quite a culture shock.
"At first we thought we would never get used to this place, he said. "It's so quiet and so slow but we're used to it now and we'd never go back.
"We enjoy our job but as you get older there's not many jobs out there for you and you end up sticking with what you've got."
Mrs Shacklock added: "This job is all we've ever known really.
"The job is here so we do it. I could've retired two years ago but I'm still here so that must say something."
The couple was presented with gifts at a special buffet lunch held around three weeks ago to mark their achievement.
Mel Moss, human resources director at Actaris, praised the pair for their long service and said: "It's absolutely incredible. They have got 71 years service between them.
"They're fabulous workers and they've become part of the furniture. They're very loyal, well respected employees."
N What do you think? Do you know a couple who have worked for longer for one company? Write in to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the forum at www.eveningstar.co.uk