Mother and daughter injured by fireworks
A MOTHER and her young daughter were injured in a firework display which was described as mayhem by onlookers.A shocked father-of-two was scared for his safety at the display in Felixstowewhere he claims he saw fireworks fly in to the crowd and explode dangerously near the ground.
A MOTHER and her young daughter were injured in a firework display that was described as "mayhem" by onlookers.
Shocked father-of-two Kieran Denny said he was scared for his safety at the Causton Junior School display at Felixstowe, where he claims he saw fireworks fly in to the crowd and explode dangerously near the ground.
Paul Rooney, headteacher at the school confirmed there was a firework which caused an injury.
However, he stressed that safety precautions were in place during the display organised by the Parent Teacher Association of the school.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rooney said that a woman and daughter, thought to be aged around 10 and a pupil at the school, was hit on the arm by a firework and were taken to hospital, although the injuries were only slight.
Mr Denny, of Maidstone Road, Felixstowe, said: "It was mayhem.
- 1 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 2 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 3 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 4 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 5 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 Community left heartbroken by loss of mum Jessica
- 8 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 9 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 10 Suffolk man buys rare Mini built to mark Queen's Silver Jubilee for £10k
"It was shocking because people looked as if they were being hit by fireworks. It scared me."
Mr Denny said he saw people running out of the way of fireworks, which, he claimed, did not shoot high enough in to the sky before exploding.
He said that around 50 of a screeching type of firework only rose to six foot before exploding at the display on Friday night.
Mr Denny added that another batch, which would normally spray light in to the sky, was also shooting up in to the sky at a lower height than normal so that some were still alight when they hit the ground.
Another concerned onlooker Kristie-Anne Frasier, 28, said: "I'm shocked and disgusted."
Mrs Frasier, of Vicarage Road, Felixstowe, said she had to console her four children Daniel, nine, Connor, seven, Nathan, six and Georgia, two, who also witnessed the display.
Headteacher Mr Rooney, said: "I wouldn't describe it as mayhem but we would take comments seriously."
He said that official regulations had been followed by the organisers and that a safety fence had been put up to protect the public.
St John Ambulance and a fire crew were also present during the evening.