Mother leaps from window to escape blaze
A WOMAN has been injured after she jumped from a window to flee a fire which had broken out in her house.Essex Fire and Rescue was called to the house in Purcell Road, Witham, after the blaze broke out at about 10.15am.
A WOMAN has been injured after she jumped from a window to flee a fire which had broken out in her house.
Essex Fire and Rescue was called to the house in Purcell Road, Witham, after the blaze broke out at about 10.15am.
Eddie Brennan, station commander at Chelmsford fire station, said: “This fire was started by a four year-old who had found a lighter and went into the bathroom and used it to start a small fire.
“The smoke from this fire spread thick smoke across the ground and first floors of the house. The mother was told about the fire by her five year-old and became disorientated because of the smoke and ended up leaping from a first floor window.
“The four and five year-old children were then led to safety by the 15 year-old. The other child was out at the time of the fire.”
The woman hurt her leg when she leapt from a first floor window.
- 1 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 2 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 9 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 10 Overnight closures announced for Orwell Bridge works
Mr Brennan said: “This shows why it is so important that lighters and matches are kept out of the reach of young children. A quiet morning can turn to tragedy if a young child gets hold of a lighter.”