Mother leaps from window to escape blaze
A WOMAN has been injured after she jumped from a window to flee a fire which had broken out in her house.Essex Fire and Rescue was called to the house in Purcell Road, Witham, after the blaze broke out at about 10.15am.
A WOMAN has been injured after she jumped from a window to flee a fire which had broken out in her house.
Essex Fire and Rescue was called to the house in Purcell Road, Witham, after the blaze broke out at about 10.15am.
Eddie Brennan, station commander at Chelmsford fire station, said: “This fire was started by a four year-old who had found a lighter and went into the bathroom and used it to start a small fire.
“The smoke from this fire spread thick smoke across the ground and first floors of the house. The mother was told about the fire by her five year-old and became disorientated because of the smoke and ended up leaping from a first floor window.
You may also want to watch:
“The four and five year-old children were then led to safety by the 15 year-old. The other child was out at the time of the fire.”
The woman hurt her leg when she leapt from a first floor window.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 7 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 8 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 9 High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
- 10 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
Mr Brennan said: “This shows why it is so important that lighters and matches are kept out of the reach of young children. A quiet morning can turn to tragedy if a young child gets hold of a lighter.”