Mother quizzed over girl's death
A MOTHER has been quizzed by detectives following the tragic death of her 12-year-old daughter.Laiken Bonne, who was disabled, died after drowning in a bath at her home, in Greenfinch Avenue, Ipswich.
A MOTHER has been quizzed by detectives following the tragic death of her 12-year-old daughter.
Laiken Bonne, who was disabled, died after drowning in a bath at her home, in Greenfinch Avenue, Ipswich.
Yesterday, her mother, Tracey Bonne, 29, was arrested on suspicion of neglect in connection with the incident. Social services is carrying out its own separate investigation.
Laiken, who allegedly tipped over in her bath, was taken to Ipswich Hospital but could not be saved by doctors.
Mrs Bonne, along with her husband, Shaun, emigrated to England from Zimbabwe after the birth of Laiken. They made the move to take advantage of the superior medical facilities available in this country to treat their daughter's condition.
Since being in Suffolk, the family have been taken into the hearts of their adopted community.
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 3 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 4 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 5 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 6 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Soldier headbutted police officer after being caught drink driving
A partnership between Disability Care Enterprise, insurance company Anglia Countrywide and The Evening Star, Laiken was presented with a new wheelchair on Christmas Eve 1998.
Laiken had attended Heathside Special School, in Heath Road, Ipswich.
Lisa Miller, of Suffolk police, confirmed a woman was arrested in connection with the incident.
She said: "Ipswich Police have arrested a 29-year-old Ipswich woman on suspicion of neglect in connection with the investigation surrounding the death of a 12-year-old Ipswich girl, who was pronounced dead at Ipswich Hospital on Monday."
Last night she was released on police bail until February 1.