Mother saves son and cat in fire drama
A MOTHER saved her son and her cat before tackling a fire herself early today.The pair are now recovering from smoke inhalation today after being woken by the fire just after 5.
A MOTHER saved her son and her cat before tackling a fire herself early today.
The pair are now recovering from smoke inhalation today after being woken by the fire just after 5.30am.
The brave 36-year-old woman from Shotley Close, Ipswich managed to quell the flames in the lounge of her flat as well as getting her son and cat out, before leaving herself.
Today it was clear to see from outside the windows and room blackened by the smoke.
You may also want to watch:
Neighbour Michelle Clarke told how she was woken before just after 5.30am this morning by banging on her door.
She said: "She had managed to get her son out and put a towel over his mouth and sent him down to me.
- 1 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 2 Man left with life-changing injuries following stabbing in Ipswich
- 3 Mum opens eco-friendly refill store thanks to savings and public donations
- 4 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 'Controlling' man locked girlfriend in house
- 7 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 8 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next month
- 9 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 10 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
"I could see black smoke round his mouth.
"I went upstairs and she was looking for the cat but I told her just to get out."
But she still managed to save Foxy the cat, who although a little nervous was safe and well in Miss Clarke's flat this morning.
Miss Clarke said her friend and neighbour Jo Clements had been woken by a crackling sound coming from the lounge of her second floor flat.
After going to investigate she found that her stereo was on fire.
Miss Clarke said: "She said that she could see yellow flames coming from the stereo.
"She put it out as much as she could herself but was not sure whether it was properly out."
The fire brigade were called at around 6.20am along with an ambulance and the mother and son were taken to hospital to be checked over.