Motorcyclist killed in head-on crash
A GOOD Samaritan told of his desperate attempts to save a motorcyclist killed in a head-on crash with a car at Trimley St Martin today.Police investigations were under way into the accident.
A GOOD Samaritan told of his desperate attempts to save a motorcyclist killed in a head-on crash with a car at Trimley St Martin today.
Police investigations were under way into the accident, which happened at 8.40am.
Witnesses who saw the aftermath of the crash said it appeared the motorcyclist had been heading towards Kirton after coming off the A14 when he was in collision with a Ford Fiesta coming the opposite way.
Gary Paddick, of Kirton, who arrived at the scene just moments after the crash, went to help the biker, who had come off his machine and landed in a bush.
“I tried to clear his airway to see if I could help him breathe, but I couldn't feel a pulse and thought he may be dead,” said Mr Paddick, owner of the Go Large menswear shop in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe.
“I didn't want to move him because I was afraid of doing more damage than helping him and wanted to leave it to the experts.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 4 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 5 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 6 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 10 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
“From what I saw it looked as if the motorbike had hit the front of the car head-on.
“The car was a real mess and there was a huge crater in the windscreen and lots of damage.”
Emergency services arrived at the scene of the crash - Kirton Road near the junction of Capel Hall Lane, just off the A14 sliproad at Trimley St Martin - soon afterwards.
Police blocked off the road and set up diversions to take Trimley St Martin School traffic away from the area.
An ambulance was called and the motorcyclist - who has not yet been named - was taken to Ipswich Hospital with serious injuries.
A police spokeswoman said he had later died at the hospital. Next of kin would be informed as soon as possible.
She confirmed that the road was still blocked mid-morning while police traffic officers carried out investigations at the scene.